Our DFA team works alongside our partners to support investment in and improvements to our state’s election laws and defend against actions seeking to restrict access to the ballot.
Our priorities in 2021 include:
Absentee Ballot Counting & Processing:
- Based on clerk feedback, advocate for true early voting in Michigan
- Advocate for early tabulation of absentee ballots at least 7 days prior to the election, a common practice nationally
Election Administrator Resourcing:
- Advocate against unfunded mandates that particularly hamper voter accessibility (VAT, curbside voting, language support, etc.).
- Connect with national organizations on best funding practices and formulas
Defending Against Suppressive Policies:
- Defend against attempts to require voter identification requirements whether for in-person or absentee voting
- Defend against purges of Michigan’s voter rolls
- Defend against other restrictions to ballot access
You can track election related legislation in the Michigan Legislature here.